Monday, January 12, 2015

Internship Initial Goal Sheet


    I am happy to announce that for the spring 2015 semester I will be interning at WXTU 92.5 and Wired 96.5. My goal is to be in media broadcasting after I graduate, and I feel this internship can lead me in the right direction. My first day is January 21st at 3 pm so I haven't quite exactly started yet. my supervisor is Colleen Doherty, and she is the Promotions Coordinator at WXTU. I am required to at least spend one day a week in the office from 9 till 3, and also attend events. Now because WXTU and Wired are owned by Beasley, I am required to to attend events for both radio stations. They made this clear to me when I went in for my interview in December. It's not just going to be me as the sole intern, as there will be other student interns there from across the area. So I think this will be a fun experience, and I can;t wait to meet the people that I will be working with.

   My supervisor expects us to attend as many events as possible, and to do the best job that we can. I always give 100 percent full effort, and I will give it my absolute best. If I don't understand something I will have to ask Colleen for clarification. I am to report to her every single week, and she will evaluate as to how I will be doing. This internship is for college credit, so not only will they evaluate me, but they will also be in touch with my Co-op moderator. Now, I can turn down an assignment but only if I am really busy with school, such as If I have finals do, or a big project. In that case I will have to go up to Colleen two weeks in advance and explain to her my situation. They know that we are college students, and we all have those busy weeks studying for test, so they just want us to be honest with them. If I attend an event, and Colleen tells me that I did things wrong, then I will take her criticism and learn from it. I am going to make mistakes, as I am not perfect, so I will take criticism and use it as a learning tool.

   I think this internship will benefit me in a lot of ways because I am going to meet new people and learn the ins and outs as to how a radio station works. When I went in for my interview, they talked about that music stars do come there, so hopefully I can get lucky and meet some music superstars. This internship is going to teach me how to me confident in my-self whenever I am presenting. When you attend events, you are representing WXTU, and it has to be in a professional manner. You also have to be good at people communication skills, which I am good at, but I feel that I can improve my-self in certain areas. My networking plan is to meet as many people as possible, and to try to make as many connections as I possibly can. These people have been in the radio business a long time, and they know how things work. I will have to stay loyal, humble and respectful and try to find my own way, and establish my own connections. I want to gain experience in the field of media and radio. I want to be in broadcasting, and most of the people that are in broadcasting today, started in radio, and gradually worked themselves up. That is what I want to do, and this is a good fist step. Like I said before, this internship will help me attain connections in which hopefully I can land a job once I graduate at the end of the semester. My resume is going to change and improve as I go along.

   I am hoping that this internship provides me with the necessary tools I need to find a job in media. I hope it leads me to great friends and wonderful co-workers. When I went last December, the people that worked there were nice and helpful. They even let me see their studio, and how they work on a daily basis. So at the moment I am just hoping for the best, and I can't wait to start. Hopefully this is an experience that can lead me to a better and successful future.  

No comments:

Post a Comment