Tuesday, February 24, 2015
How Using Linkedin Can Help You Find a Job
Now, I have never used Linkedin, nor did I really ever know what it was used for. I mainly thought it was used for professionals as a networking tool for them to contact other professionals within their working environment. That is not exactly the case as college students are getting in on the fun too. Linkedin seems like a great tool as means to contact with future possible potential employers. The Huffington Post article that I read points out that over 175 million people use Linkedin to meet people in the industry. That is a lot of people, and it shows just how big Linkedin has become. It seems that you have to work a lot on your Linkedin profile because you may have future employer's checking your profile out. You want to make sure you make it as professional as possible. You also have to make sure that your profile is as deep as possible in terms of detail. Make sure you have a good summary about you as well, such as were did you go to school, what are your skills, and the classes that you have taken. They way I see it is Linkedin is like another Facebook or Twitter, with the exception that it is more professional, whereas Twitter and Facebook are more general. It's basically your own autobiography to show other people, and the skills that you have to offer.
Another thing that catches my eye is your profile picture. The way in which you look and represent yourself is extremely important because that is the first thing that employers look at. You want to make sure that you have a picture of you in a suit, and a great smile that can catch everyone's eye. You always want to make sure that you are one step ahead of the game. Also, make sure the photo you are using is professional in a good setting, and not a photo of you in bar getting hammered with your friends. It's not going to look good, and it makes you look very bad in the eyes of your future employers. Also I am going to try to make sure that I connect with as many people as possible, as that is the main benefit of Linkedin, that you get to network with as many people as you want.
The student job page does not seem bad either, especially for students that are graduating and looking for a job. It may be extremely beneficial for me considering that I am going to to graduate school soon, and this tool can help land a job. Anything that deals with job boards helps, and Linkedin seems like the perfect place to network with employers. Yes I would follow the advice on the PowerPoint and the article, especially for someone that going to open a Linkedin account, you are going to need to know how the tools work, and what is going to make you stand out from the rest. I can't wait ti open up my own Linkedin account because it adds another tool to my arsenal that I can use after graduation. The information provided by in the article is extremely helpful because it gives you a rundown of what you need to do to have a successful profile. Take every tip an help that is given to you, and use it to the best of your knowledge.
I know that you can use Twitter and Facebook to help get a job. It's not the best method but it can work. Twitter has lots of job boards that you can look up. If you are looking at a specific employer, you can ask him questions about the company, or you can tweet to him/her of how much you want this job. Facebook can also be used to network with employers. They key is you have to know how to use social media, as not everyone's profile is professional. My advice is, have two profiles, one for general and one for work. That way you can have a personal and professional life, and it will be a little bit more easier to balance. Just be careful with what you post though because you never know who is looking at your profile. Social media is very helpful, but you just have to be careful with how you use it sometimes. In conclusion, I definetaly want to make my own Linkedin account now considering the amazing benefits that come along with it. I think a lot of college students need to use Linkedin because it's great tool to network with future employers. Who knows, thought Linkedin, you may be able to finally land that dream job that you always wanted.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment